BestClinic.com provides information on gastric band in Turkey and helps you book surgery with qualified surgeons. This content is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional.
How much does a gastric band cost in Turkey?
The average cost of a gastric band in Turkey in Istanbul is £1,700. Depending on the needs, a gastric band costs from £1,500 to £1,900 in Turkey.
What is a gastric band?
Adjustable gastric banding is a bariatric surgery procedure aimed at helping morbidly obese people (BMI >40) to reduce their weight. It is an intervention that is carried out using laparoscopic or open cigua technique, although the latter is no longer as common.
The gastric band in Turkey is a silicone ring that is placed around the pit of the stomach and can be adjusted by reducing the space to allow more or less food to enter the stomach. In this way, the patient will eat food more slowly and will have the sensation of a “full stomach” sooner, which will result in weight loss.
How is this done?
In order to undergo this procedure, it is necessary for the doctor to recommend this procedure. To do this, he or she must carry out a complete study of the patient to find out about any health problems he or she may have and carefully explain the intervention and the need for commitment on the part of the patient for the subsequent phases. The adjustable gastric band is only the first step in a weight reduction plan that incorporates changes in habits, a balanced diet and increased physical activity.
The procedure is performed laparoscopically, a minimally invasive procedure that requires only five incisions in the abdominal area. The surgeon will insert the necessary instruments and place the ring around the stomach. The ring is then filled with saline to the appropriate size for each patient.
After placement, the diameter of the elastic band (the degree of compression it exerts on the stomach) can be adjusted by the physician by adding or removing saline solution. A catheter is left in the abdominal area for this function.
After the first few weeks on a soft diet, the patient will start their new plan, according to the doctor’s instructions, which will include changes in their habits, diet and regular physical activity. A multidisciplinary medical team (endocrinologist, nutritionist, psychologist, etc.) will help the patient to achieve their goal.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the adjustable band?
Adjustable gastric banding is a bariatric surgery technique that aims to help patients reduce their weight. Like any procedure, it has a number of advantages and disadvantages for the patient.
- Food intake is reduced in a less aggressive and simpler way for the patient, as they will have the sensation of satiety sooner.
- It is a minimally invasive procedure, performed laparoscopically.
- It leaves hardly any scars as it only requires five small incisions to be carried out.
- The anatomy of the stomach is not modified in any way and if, for any reason, it is necessary to do so, the stomach can be returned to its initial state through a new surgery.
- The ring can be adjusted, increasing or reducing its size, depending on the patient’s needs.
- A multidisciplinary team of doctors will accompany the patient to achieve their goal and reduce weight.
- There is a high rate of re-interventions to change the adjustable gastric band in Turkey, especially in cases of severe morbid obesity, due to slippage of the band and consequent enlargement of the stomach volume.
- There is also a high rate of oesophagitis and gastro-oesophageal reflux, which can occur in up to 15 % of patients.
- In comparative terms, weight loss is slower than can be achieved with other techniques and requires more intensive patient follow-up by the physician.
- It requires strict adherence to a diet plan and regular exercise.
Get a FREE pre-diagnosis!
On request and without any commitment
100% free consultation.
We analyse your situation, your needs and expectations. And we estimate the budget needed for : Flight + Hotel + Taxi + Operation
At all times, you retain full control of the process.
Total peace of mind.