BestClinic.com provides information on plastic surgery in Turkey and helps you book surgery with qualified surgeons. This content is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional.
Plastic surgery in Turkey remains a preferred solution for correcting aesthetic defects from birth, as a result of illness, accident or deficiency of the body. It allows to embellish and improve certain aspects of the body for aesthetic reasons or for practical and functional reasons.
According to a study conducted by the International Institute of Aesthetic Surgery, ISAPS, an average of 522,000 cosmetic surgery procedures are performed each year in France. On the other hand, on the Bosphorus side, more than 800,000 surgical procedures are performed each year in Turkey, more precisely in Istanbul, Izmir or Antalya.
If Turkey attracts so many patients, it is because the country has the best plastic surgeons and the best clinics in the world. But above all, it offers very advantageous rates at 70% less expensive than in United Kingdom thanks to an advantageous Turkish currency (Turkish lira) and with an all-inclusive model (travel, accommodation, stay, hospitalisation, surgery, medication). In addition to being at the forefront of cosmetic surgery technology, Turkey also offers the best conditions of stay (luxury travel, VIP hotel, very fast care). Medical tourism is very important in Turkey and cosmetic surgery is a very competitive sector.
In 2019, medical tourism increased by 79% and is estimated to have earned the country $1.5 billion. The country has also created new infrastructure and launched translation services for international patients. In addition, the pricing policy is controlled by the state with special regulations. This explains the success of cosmetic surgery in Turkey.
The most popular interventions in Turkey
Both women and men have cosmetic surgery in Turkey and the surgeries vary depending on the needs and goals of each patient. Here are the top surgeries in Turkey in 2022 for men and women:
Popular plastic surgeries for women
Women are still the most frequent recipients of plastic surgery. They represent 70% of the patient base for plastic surgery.
The most popular procedures for women in 2022 are :
- Liposuction of the hips, stomach and thighs: liposuction is an operation to rectify physical appearance and lose weight by removing fat from the hips, stomach and thighs.
- Breast surgery : women often have recourse to this type of surgery for breast reconstruction following removal after cancer, for breast augmentation or for breast reduction.
- Lowering of the hairline : this cosmetic surgery procedure consists of readjusting a forehead that is too imposing. It allows the hairline to be brought forward to harmonise with the rest of the face.
- Eyelid lift or blepharoplasty : This surgical procedure is used to remove wrinkles, age marks and imperfections. It is performed as part of a facial rejuvenation.
- Buttock augmentation or BBL (Brazilian buttock lift) : It consists of reshaping or filling the buttocks with fat taken from other parts of the body.
Popular plastic surgeries for men
Men represent 30% of the patient base of plastic surgeons.
The most popular procedures for men in 2022 are :
- Hair transplantation: This is performed to mask baldness or alopecia. It allows the redensification of thinning areas by reimplanting hair taken from the donor area.
- Blepharoplasty : It allows the correction of drooping eyelids which give an aged and tired appearance to the face.
- Abdominal liposuction : It consists of sucking and extracting the fat and skin on the belly. This method is very popular with overweight men and women.
- Rhinoplasty : This aesthetic procedure consists of reshaping or correcting the size and shape of the nose for aesthetic reasons, but also for functional reasons (correcting breathing, reducing snoring, etc.)
- Penoplasty : This surgical procedure consists of lengthening the size and increasing the circumference of the penis.
Plastic surgery must be performed by a qualified practitioner to achieve reliable and lasting results. In Turkey, the profession of plastic surgeon is very popular and has a very important place in the country’s economy. There are more than 1,200 specialists in plastic surgery in Turkey who are certified and recognised worldwide as graduates of major international schools.
Ranking of the 10 most popular operations in Turkey in 2022
- Definition : Hair transplantation is a surgical operation that consists of implanting hair on the scalp. The grafts are taken from the back of the head.
- When is hair transplantation used?
Hair transplantation is necessary to cover baldness or alopecia. It is also necessary to make the hair fuller. The minimum age for a hair transplant is 18 years.
The duration of a hair transplant procedure is 2 to 6 hours. The hair transplant is usually performed under local anaesthetic. The risks and potential side effects are poor regrowth, inflammation, swelling or infection. There is no hospital stay as the operation is performed on an outpatient basis. The mandatory stay in Turkey is 7 days. The recovery time is 10 days. The final result of a hair transplant is obtained within 9 to 12 months. Regrowth is visible after 3 months.
Breast augmentation (breast implant)
- Definition : Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure in which breast prostheses are implanted to improve the size and shape of the breasts.
- When is breast augmentation performed?
Breast augmentation is performed for aesthetic reasons, or to correct a slight breast ptosis. The minimum age is 18 years.
The duration of the breast augmentation procedure is 1 to 2 hours. Breast augmentation is performed under general anaesthesia. Potential risks and side effects are deflation, implant rupture, bleeding or infection. The hospital stay is 48 hours. The mandatory stay in Turkey is 7 to 10 days. A check-up is required within 3 to 6 months. The recovery period is 15 days. The final result is visible immediately after the operation.
Liposuction (hips, stomach, thighs)
- Definition : Liposuction consists of suctioning and extracting excess subcutaneous fat from the arms, stomach, hips and thighs.
- When is liposuction performed?
Liposuction is necessary when conventional slimming techniques fail. It allows the removal of excess fat cells accumulated in areas such as the thighs, stomach, back, arms, love handles, calves, ankles and knees. It is recommended for those over 18 years old.
The duration of the liposuction procedure is on average 2 hours. Liposuction is performed under local or general anaesthesia depending on the areas to be treated and the amount of fat. The risks and potential side effects are bruising, ecchymosis, soreness, infection or oedema. The hospital stay is 48 hours. The mandatory stay in Turkey is 7-10 days. The recovery period is 10 to 15 days. A first result is visible after 2 weeks and the final result will be visible after 3 months.
Blepharoplasty (Eyelid surgery)
- Definition : Blepharoplasty is an operation to improve the appearance of the upper and lower eyelids.
- When is blepharoplasty performed?
Blepharoplasty is necessary to correct sagging eyelids and reduce bags under the eyes. The minimum age for surgery is 18 years.
The duration of the blepharoplasty procedure is 1 to 2 hours. Blepharoplasty is usually performed under local anaesthetic. Risks and potential side effects include excessive tearing, light sensitivity, burning and dry skin. There is no hospital stay for blepharoplasty as it is not required. The mandatory stay in Turkey is 5 days. The recovery time is 5 to 10 days. The final 100% result is visible immediately after the operation.
Rhinoplasty (nose surgery)
- Definition : Rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure that involves changing the shape and size of the nose for aesthetic or functional reasons.
- When is rhinoplasty performed?
Rhinoplasty is available from the age of 18. It is necessary to reduce a bump on the nose or to straighten the nasal bridge.
The duration of the rhinoplasty procedure is 1 to 2 hours. Rhinoplasty is usually performed under general anaesthesia. The risks and potential side effects are irregularity, deformation of the tip of the nose and unsightly scars. Hospital stay rarely exceeds 24 hours. The mandatory stay in Turkey is 7 days. The recovery period is 14 days. The final result of a rhinoplasty is obtained within 6 months.
Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)
- Definition : Abdominoplasty is an operation to reduce the amount of fat or skin on the stomach.
- When is abdominoplasty performed?
Abdominoplasty is necessary to reduce excess skin on the abdomen after pregnancy or excessive weight loss. It is available from the age of 18.
The duration of the abdominoplasty procedure is 2 to 4 hours. Abdominoplasty is usually performed under general anaesthesia. Potential risks and side effects are infection, bleeding, poor healing and pulmonary embolism. The hospital stay is 24 hours. The mandatory stay in Turkey is 7 days. The recovery time is 15 to 20 days. The final result of an abdominoplasty is obtained after 6 weeks and lasts for years.
Buttock lipofilling (Brazilian buttock lift BBL)
- Definition : Buttock lipofilling, or Brazilian buttock lift, is an operation that consists of injecting fat from other parts of the body into the buttocks.
- When is buttock lipofilling performed?
The Brazilian facelift is necessary to increase the volume of the buttocks, to give it a more youthful appearance. The minimum age for this operation is 18 years.
The duration of the buttock lipofilling procedure is 2 to 4 hours. Buttock lipofilling is usually performed under general anaesthesia. The risks and potential side effects are a necessary transfusion, a fatty pulmonary embolism and a passage of injected fat into the blood. The hospital stay is 48 hours. The mandatory stay in Turkey is 7-10 days. The recovery time is 15 to 20 days. The final result of a Brazilian facelift is obtained after 6 months.
Lowering the front line (Forehead reduction)
- Definition : The lowering of the hairline, or forehead reduction, is an operation that consists of reducing the top of the forehead to advance the hairline.
- When is a lowering of the hairline used?
Forehead reduction is necessary when the forehead is too large or disproportionate to the rest of the face. The minimum age for this operation is 18.
The duration of the forehead reduction procedure is 1 to 2 hours. The forehead reduction is usually performed under general anaesthesia. Risks and potential side effects include numbness, loss of hair sensitivity, bleeding, unsightly scarring, bruising and swelling. The hospital stay is 24 hours. The mandatory stay in Turkey is 7 days. Recovery time is 10 to 15 days. The final result of a forehead reduction is obtained in 6 months.
- Définition : Gastric ballooning is an endoscopic, non-surgical procedure in which a balloon is placed in the stomach to make the person feel full and to encourage them to eat less.
- When is a gastric balloon used?
The gastric balloon is necessary for weight loss in overweight patients with a BMI between 27 and 40. The minimum age is 18 years.
The duration of the gastric balloon procedure is 1 to 2 hours. The procedure is performed orally and without general anaesthesia. The risks and potential side effects are abdominal pain, nausea and frequent vomiting in the first few days. There is no hospital stay as the operation is ambulatory. The mandatory stay in Turkey is 3 days. The recovery time is 3 days. The final result is obtained after 6 months.
Penoplasty (Penis enlargement)
- Definition : Penoplasty, or phalloplasty, is a surgical procedure that involves injecting hyaluronic acid to lengthen the size and enlarge the circumference of the penis, for overall penile enlargement.
- When is penoplasty performed?
Penoplasty is necessary to enlarge the sex, improve sexual performance or treat premature ejaculation problems. The minimum age for this operation is 18 years.
The duration of a penoplasty is 1 to 2 hours. Penoplasty is performed under general anaesthesia. The risks and potential side effects are infections, bruising and deformation of the penis. The hospital stay is 24 hours. The mandatory stay in Turkey is 7-10 days. The recovery time is 15 to 20 days. The final result is visible immediately after the operation and allows to gain 1 to 4 cm.
Get a FREE pre-diagnosis!
On request and without any commitment
100% free consultation.
We analyse your situation, your needs and expectations. And we estimate the budget needed for : Flight + Hotel + Taxi + Operation
At all times, you retain full control of the process.
Total peace of mind.